Friday, June 4, 2010

California Vacay Day 1


While I am on vacation I am going to try to blog as often as I can about some of the food/sights I am enjoying while away from the kitchen.

After a grueling flight experience yesterday on the way here, Ainsley and I settled in early Friday morning with my parents who have been in Cali for the last 4 days. We woke up on Friday morning ready to go and headed into downtown San Francisco to tour Alcatraz and just kind of go with the flow. Because I broke one of my cardinal rules at breakfast by eating at McDonalds (the rule being that when on vacation, I don't eat anything that I could otherwise eat at home) I knew I couldn't repeat that for lunch. We ended up in this really nice restaraunt on the Pier adjacent to the Alcatraz tours called Butterfly. I had the Duo of Manhattan and New England Chowders and man were they fantastic. I had tasted New England Chowder before but had never tasted the Manhattan. They were both fantastic in their own right! The broth for the Manhattan had some amazing fresh tomatoes and basil in it and the perfect almost "Loaded Baked Potato" broth for the New England Chowder, made me almost want to bathe in the stuff. I'm looking forward to being in the Northeast in a couple weeks to have some close to home New England Chowder!

We finished off the evening by heading to Pier 39 and the shops that surround it. The first thing that really caught my eye was these strawberries!



I also include the picture of me holding one just to give you an idea of the largeness of these berries. Ainsley, of course, could not get enough of them, and had I not stopped her, probably would have eaten the leaves and stems of the strawberries I gave her. Just having this fruit market in the center of this shopping area, was enough to solidify the greatness of the place, but the dinner at Bourdin's and the Banana and Strawberry with Nutella Crepe to close it all out definitely sealed the deal. My mom made the comment at one point that there were far too many temptations in this area and I agreed. Chocolate Heaven provided more than enough places for me to spend my money. I resisted buying one of everything, but did leave with two truffles (Luscious Lemon and Coconut Creme Pie) and some Chocolate Pasta for me to make when I get home. I also purchased a Sweet Saucer Peach, which I have never heard of. It isn't as tart as some peaches, but still has a great flavor!

Tomorrow, I am pretty sure we are headed towards Wine Country with a pit stop at the Charles Schulz museum and an eventual stop at the Jelly Belly factory!

No comments:

Post a Comment