Tuesday, June 8, 2010

California - Day 5





CHOCOLATE!! What more can I say? Since yesterday was about the joys of cheese, I guess today's theme would be chocolate, or just candy in general!

We started off the day by leaving Sonoma and heading towards Fairfield, Ca where the main factory for Jelly Belly jelly beans is located. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I ended up having a great time on the tour. The fact that it can take some jelly beans at least 21 days to make was pretty amazing considering they are consumed so quickly. And while I knew Reagan loved Jelly Bellys, I did not realize that it was partially due to him that the company took off when he became president. The tour centered on the overall production aspect and was really interesting. They were making Tangerine Jelly Bellys while we were there so the smell of the factory was intoxicating.




After the tour, we went into the gift shop and purchased some jelly beans. I got Red Apple, Pomegranate, Sour Grape, Sour Apple, Watermelon, Strawberry Jam, and some Grape Soda. Ainsley enjoyed the jelly beans, and even got a little pail to carry hers around in, even though she wasn't happy that she wouldn't have unfettered access to them.

After leaving, we headed toward San Francisco again and ended up at Ghirardelli Square. They don't in fact make the chocolate here anymore, but they do make fantastic ice cream treats. Above was my choice. The Very Berry Sundae. Strawberry cheescake ice cream with blueberries and strawberries. Ainsley and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

We then walked around the pier and ended up at Musee Mechanique where they have tons of old arcade games from all different eras. Ainsley played some skee ball and just kept throwing the ball up and down the game screaming WHEE!!!

I am looking forward to a trip to Union Square tomorrow and some cable car riding! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment