Saturday, June 5, 2010

California Day 2






I am sitting here writing this after a day of meandering through California towards Wine Country. We left San Francisco this morning around 9 and headed north to take Hwy 1 up the Coast line and see what it had to offer. Now obviously we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge during this endeavor, but to be honest I wouldn't really have known unless their had been signs posted, since we could see none of the bridge while crossing it due to the fog. Hopefully when we head back we will get a better glimpse. This was the best view I got. Actually we were stopping for gas, and I happened to get out of the car and stand in the middle of the street for this picture!

After getting over the foggy bridge, we made our way to Hwy 1 and through possibly the curviest road I have ever been on. Thankfully I didn't throw up, although there were times when it seemed imminent! We stopped a couple places along the way to take pictures. The first are from the Muir Overlook. Although it was still really foggy in this area, it was still breathtaking! The cliffs and the coast line below were beautiful and I was more than pleased to just be able to see the fog rolling in off of the ocean.



After the Muir Overlook we came around some hills, and low and behold, the fog lifted and we saw the coastline. It was STUNNING! Some of the most amazing rock formations and hills that I have ever seen! We made our way along the road, stopping a couple of times for pictures of course, and then made it to Stinson Beach. Ainsley has been to the beach before, but for some reason, she decided that this time she wanted nothing to do with it! I had to hold her most of the time and any time I put her close to the ground she simply held her feet up! She is definitely more like me in that respect because I could take or leave the sand part of the beach, I just want to see and hear the water!

After the beach we drove towards Occidental, CA and had dinner. Hops and Barley was the name of the Pub...I think! I had an amazing Bavarian plate, complete with Red cabbage and sausages!! Ainsley liked the red cabbage for awhile, and then decided their must be something better out there. Considering my German heritage, you would think I would cook more German foods, but I haven't been that adventurous. Except for a Sauerbraten recipe I made once that was phenomenal. New resolution: Cook more German food!

Now we are in Santa Rosa, CA. Tomorrow we head to the Charles Schulz Museum and also to an outlet mall, and hopefully some wine along the way! I know I need some! Here's to another day in California!!

1 comment: