Monday, May 31, 2010

Variations on a Theme: 2 Cupcakes


Over the last couple of weeks, I have been experimenting with different cupcake concoctions to come up with some ideas. Now the question remains as to where I would eventually use these recipes. While I have always wanted to open my own Bakery (Fler De Licious would be it's name) the prospect scares the heebie-jeebies out of me! I am sure everyone who has ever thought about opening their own business has felt the same, but I just can't seem to shake it.

Nevertheless, I have been baking and wanted to share two recipes with you. The base for both cupcakes is the same. It is a generic vanilla cupcake recipe that my mom handed me a couple weeks ago from the USA Today magazine.

The base is this:

1 and a half sticks of softened butter (Don't Judge!!!)
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 and a half cups of self-rising flour
if using all purpose just add 1 and a half tsps of baking powder and a fourth tsp of salt
1 Tb. warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract

  1. Set oven at 400 degrees F
  2. Line a 12 cup muffin pan
  3. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy
  4. Starting and ending with an egg, alternate adding flour and eggs, beating each until well incorporated.
  5. Beat in water and vanilla until just incorporated.
  6. Bake for 15-17 minutes *if you try the variations below, check them at 11 or 12 minutes!
For the first variation, I have b
een making Banana cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream.

For the cupcake, just add in 2 mashed ripe bananas into the batter at the end. Like I said above,make sure to check the cupcakes at 11 or 12 minutes, because they cook up pretty fast.

For the Peanut Butter Buttercream, I enhanced the recipe I usually use for my icing.

  1. Beat together 1/2 cup of room temperature water and 3 heaping Tbs. of Meringue Powder with a mixer. (hopefully you have a stand mixer, or you will be here all day. Unless you have a cooking show, because their eggs whites beat up magically in like 3o seconds. Also, depending on the humidity, it may take longer to achieve the desired end!) Beat until the meringue is at a soft peak.
  2. Add 1 lb of powdered sugar, and (cringe) 1 and a half cups of shortening (preferably Crisco). Mix until smooth. (Again don't judge me here. I have always used this recipe and have always had rave reviews on my icing. The first time you make it, your arteries may clog a little, but you will be rewarded in the end, I promise!)
  3. Add in 1 more lb of powdered sugar and 2 tsp of vanilla extract and 1 tsp of butter extract.
  4. Mix well and finish off by adding 3/4 cup of peanut butter. Depending on how peanut buttery you want the icing, you can add more or less, but I am always one for more and more peanut butter!!
Ice the Banana cupcakes after they have had at least 4 hours to cool and garnish with a dried banana wedge! They are fantastic! I meant to add a little peanut butter ganache to the top of these but I didn't have time!

For the second variation, I have been making a Banana Coconut Cupcake.

For this you will also be adding 2 mashed ripe bananas to the batter at the end as well as a couple drops of Coconut Oil. I haven't used Coconut Extract but from what I have read you would have to use more extract because it isn't as strong. Bake for 11-12 minutes and allow to cool.

For the frosting, I use Paula Deen's Cream Cheese Icing recipe. (the link will also take you to her Red Velvet Cake recipe which I have used many times and have never heard any complaints!) I also add a couple drops of Coconut Oil to the icing as well. Ice the cupcakes and then sprinkle Coconut shavings and chopped up dried bananas to the top.

I hope you enjoy both of these recipes. I have definitely had a great time playing around with this base. Have a couple different ideas I want to try, just need the extra time. And since, summer is right around the corner (tomorrow is my last day of school), I will have a lot more time on my hands!!

No comments:

Post a Comment