Monday, May 24, 2010

Mashed Sweet Potatoes


There are few things in life that are as comforting as sweet potatoes. And not that crazy kind of comforting that Oprah once expressed as her camera man panned in for a shot with her beloved sweet potato. If you watch The Soup, then you probably know what I am talking about. There are few things that one can do to this delightful vegetable to make it bad. Although I take serious issue with people who place marshmallows in their sweet potatoes. I don't really know what my problem with that practice is, but I think my difficulty partaking in this process lies in the fact that I am not really a fan of the gelatinous pieces of frivolity known to the world as Marshmallows. And don't even bring up Peeps unless you are prepared for a diatribe of hatred against those putrescent poultry puffs. (Nice alliteration if I do say so myself!)

Nevertheless, tonight I made Mashed Sweet Potatoes for dinner. I got the inspiration from a Rachael Ray recipe on foodnetwork.com. For those of you that don't go to Food Network constantly, you should add it to your daily surfing rituals because they provide a bevy of opportunities to expand on recipes. I didn't really change the recipe too much, but I feel the need to share it: Mashed Sweet Potatoes

The things I did change was adding about 1/4 of a cup more brown sugar and I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon along with the nutmeg. Because who makes anything with sweet potatoes and doesn't use cinnamon? As I reached for the nutmeg in m
y spice cabinet, I felt like the cinnamon was giving me that pitiful look of "Why aren't you going to use me?" So, being the obliging cook, I agreed!

I mean what could be better? Butter and Bananas???


The finished product! Served with some Carribean Jerk Marinated Chicken. Probably the first time I grilled chicken and didn't completely burn it on the stove. Pathetic, right?

Well there you go! Definitely try this recipe! It was so easy and the final product was probably one of the most amazing things ever done to a sweet potato. It was sweet and salty and got the approval of not only me, but Molly and Ainsley!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delish! You should post your carribbean jerk marinated chicken recipe next :) I love blogging about food as well, although my blog is more than just food...although I must admit, just seeing one like this devoted just to food makes me consider switching mine to solely food!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The caribbean jerk was just a bottle of marinade. Nothing too special, but it is a good marinade!

    ReplyDelete